Thursday 6 February 2014

Out of Order: Seekers of His Heart

Hi folks!!

If you're reading this, thanks for stopping by to check me out!  Today, I felt really impressed to speak on something that Christ has been working on with me. Lately, I've been sooo busy trying to balance school, volunteering, placements, and other commitments. The busier I became, the more I pushed Christ in the back burner. I know many of you can relate: The more things we have to juggle, the easier it becomes to make Christ less than first priority. As I reflect back to those weeks, it really breaks my heart to think of how patient and oh so merciful Christ was as I ran my life without him, or for the least, giving him the last nasty crumbs of my day. You know, the ones where you're burnt-out and extremely exhausted from the day's activities, so you just say a quick 1 minute lifeless prayer that your heart was never in...all while you're falling asleep... Rings any bells? 


One day I was sitting quietly to  myself, and I started asking myself, why am I so overwhelmed and worn out all the time? Why does my life feel so empty and relentless? Why am I easily irritated these days? What happened to my bubbly self? And most importantly, what happened to the peace I once had? It took that silence, that little quiet moment for me to realize how all these distractions were stealing my heart away from God, who was once my number one priority. It was then, that I realized I needed to unplug for a while; I desperately needed to refocus and recharge; I needed a shift, a reassembling of my priorities; a life-check


I share this experience because I know someone will be able to relate. God longs for our attention, our time, our love and our affection. Don't let these daily distractions steal your heart away from where it should be. A friend shared a statement this week that was so true and powerful! He said "If our allegiance is given to something else but God first, that thing will destroy us!" 

One of my all time favorite reformers, Martin Luther (a German ex-monk and Protestant reformer) once said that the busier and more hectic he knew his day would be, the more time he would spend praying and meditating that morning, because he knew his own strength would not be enough to endure the demands of the day. As Christians, let this be our mentality: To seek Christ daily, to keep him as first priority, seek divine aid to add to your human efforts. I promise you, your days will be much more bearable.   


Today I encourage you to find some quiet time to dedicate to God, even if it's for 10 or 15 minutes. Seek His face, pour your hearts out to Him, meditate on his word, reflect on His goodness. 

  • 1 Chronicles 16: Seek the Lord and the strength he gives! Seek His presence continually. (New International Version)



Stay sweet in Jesus,
Merlandy J



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)