Sunday 9 September 2012

The Power of Words: Did you heal or did you hurt?

What's up folks,

I hope you all are having a great day, I surely am. Today, I just want to get straight into the point, I want to talk about the power of words. You know, when people ask "what are you most afraid of?", some would say lions, tigers, bears, heights, dogs, etc...(I am afraid of all the above lol) , but you know what I am most afraid of sometimes? People! Yep...you read it right, people. The reason being, is because, humans possess an instrument so powerful, that if abused, they can instantly KILL someone...emotionally. (And let me tell you my friend, being emotionally dead, is far worse, than being physically dead.) Or if used in the right way, it can transform the world by healing and uplifting others one word at a time. Every word spoken has an influence that is so powerful, whether it is words of good or words of evil. The gift and talent of voice was entrusted to us by God, it is a privilege that we are able to speak, we should learn to train and guard our words, for they have the power to cause sunshine or shadow on anyone who we come in contact with. Instead of going on and on, (because I can lol), I will simply list the two influences of words with a little detail of each.




How can I use my words to hurt another?
  • Talking without thinking: I remember an English proverb that said "to speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming." This can be so dangerous, before you say something think about the effects it can have on the listener, because once your words leave your mouth, you can't take it back. "Speak without thinking, and your words can cut like a knife. Be wise, and your words can heal". Proverbs 12:18;  "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." Proverbs 29:20
  • Speaking harsh or scolding words to another person or vulgarity (cursing):  Control your temper, control your words. "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger" Proverbs 15:1. Always speak gently, be patient and never raise your voice to harshness. "Your words should be of a character to soothe and bless the hearer...take all the ugly features out of the voice.." (Adventist Home pg 436) 
  • Lying, gossiping, or exaggerating the truth: "The spirit of gossip and tale-bearing (lying) is one of Satan's special agencies to sow discord and strife, to separate friends, and to undermine the faith of many in the truthfulness of our positions." (Adventist Home pg 441) If you won't say it in the front of them, don't say it behind their backs. Let the words that you speak always be truthful, kind and pleasant. "But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth." Colossians 3:8
  • Words of discouragement: Your words should always be the kind to uplift and bless others.  "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Ephesians 4:29
How can I use my words to help or uplift another?


  • Words of encouragement: "Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body." Proverbs 16:24 Have you ever heard the saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say it at all?"..this quote applies here. Be careful what you are saying, your own words can be used to help or heal you or another. Don't even allow yourself to complain
  • Kill the spirit of fault-finding and criticism: This spirit can ruin others. Let your heart be a grave to other's faults. Focus on the good in them and allow God to fix the rest. “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven." Luke 6:37
  • Let your words be an outward expression of an inward grace: "Kind words are a dew and gentle showers to the soul. The scripture says of Christ that grace was poured into His lips, that He might know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary." (Adventist Home pg 435) "A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart. What you say flows from what is in your heart." Luke 6:45 
  • Know when to keep silent: "Even a fool who keeps silent is considered wise; when he closes his lips, he is deemed intelligent." Proverbs 17:28  "Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble." Proverbs 21:23. Sometimes, it is best to remain silent  or to sing a calm song in your heart than to reply in anger, retaliate,  reprove or condemn another. "Often silence is the severest rebuke that could be given to the one who has sinned with his lips...the silence that is golden will often do more than all the words that can be uttered" (Adventist Home pg 442) 


My prayer for each and every one of us (including myself) is that we come to a realization that the same lips that are used to bring and give glory to God should not be used to kill or destroy another. I pray we each use our gift of speech wisely by encouraging and uplifting others. 

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" Psalms 19:14 

Words can hurt or heal. What did  yours do today? Comments are welcomed, I would love to hear your thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. me and 2 friend write and maintain a blog which I have entitled “live profoundly” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.
    I will follow you publicly as well.
    Have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nina right? She told me about it. I would love to follow your blog. Thank you for the support Kem!

      Delete
  2. Hi dear, thanks for inspiring blog. I take a lot experience from it. I put this post as my reverence in my blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)