Monday 3 September 2012

Watering my own grass: Choosing to be Content

What's up folks....

I want to share something with you that God has been teaching me lately; that is: Choosing to be content. Let me just say, when this was first revealed to me, my initial reaction was to rebuttal , I was in total denial. I couldn't see this defect in my own character. I was so blind and quick to spot how others were discontent, that I was too busy to realize how I didn't appreciate what I had too!! Have you ever heard the quote "If you think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, try watering your own grass"?....Well, I was that one sitting on the fence wishing I had my neighbour's grass! Sad, but TRUE! I was there, watching everyone else carry on with their lives and wishing I was on the other side of the fence with them, not realizing that if I had watered my grass, it would look the same (if not better). 


Sometimes, when we wish our lives were similar to someone else's, that can be so dangerous, because in reality, we don't know what the person did or had to go through to get to where they are! And if we were to find out what they had to go through, can we honestly say that we would be willing to take the same steps they did? Would we be able and willing to endure the same pain, losses and sufferings? 


These verses have served as a great reminder for me to be content and happy with where I am. Try memorizing them and putting them into practice in your own life.

  • Godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6
  • I've kept my feet on the ground, I've cultivated a quiet heart. Like a baby content in it's mother's arms, my soul is a baby content. Psalm 131: 2
  • I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Christ who gives me strength. Phillipians 4: 11-13

In a book called Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow, she gave a few points about the secret to contentment. They are as follows: 


1. Never allow yourself to complain about anything, not even the weather.
2. Never picture yourself in a different circumstance or someplace else.
3. Never compare your lot with the lot of another.
4. Never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
5. Never dwell on tomorrow. Remember: it is God’s, and not ours.


Being content is a rare and valuable treasure; it is also the key to a peaceful and happy life. My prayer for all of us (including myself) is that we learn to embrace the simplicity and beauty around us, appreciate what we have, be thankful and leave the rest to God. 

Have you ever battled with discontentment? How did you overcome? Please share, I would love to hear your testimonies!! :D



3 comments:

  1. This is so rich I pray the whole world would read this

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have see through the years I have not been content, this discontentment started very early In my child hood. When I was living in my country I couldn't wait to come to the USA. When I lived in the USA I wanted to go back to my country. I left USA to come to Canada and still not happy, I saw that it was something I had to delt with, by exepting, and been thankful to God

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! I can totally relate! But I thank God that we came to a realization that it's time to change our ways of thinking.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! :)